TRUMPF Photonics, Inc., Cranbury (US)
Drive the optimization of brightness and power of high power diode laser with and without external feedback in close cooperation with our semiconductor development team. This includes improvements of the beam quality of broad area emitters while scaling the output power and optimizing the polarization. You will work with single emitters as well as with high power bars. Special emphasize will be on brightness scaling through dense wavelength multiplexing. You own the developments associated with our existing prototypes, such as low smile, low stress heatsink and coating optimization as well as set ups for experimental verification. You will develop new methods for dense wavelength multiplexing and establish a performance assessment matrix of various approaches. You will also be responsible for proofing the reliability of diode lasers under feedback and delivering functional samples to our customers.
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. The position may require that employees perform other duties as assigned.
- Improving the beam quality, i.e. reducing the divergence of broad area high power diode lasers in close cooperation with the semiconductor development team.
- Set-up and carry out experimental characterization of various diode laser designs for performance, such as power, beam quality, polarization, spectrum with and without feedback
- Optimization of our current high power bars deployed for dense wavelength multiplexing for beam quality, power, and locking characteristics
- Reliability investigations for diode lasers under feedback using existing test equipment and devising new set-ups.
- Optical design of diode laser and diode laser systems using standard modeling software, like Zemax
- Develop new methods and/or set-ups for dense wavelength multiplexing for different applications and for reduced cost.
Master’s Degree or higher degree in mechanical / optical engineering or physics.
- Profound knowledge of high power diode lasers and its performance relevant factors, such as waveguide design and low stress packaging.
- Broad experience in experimental characterization of high power diode laser
- Well acquainted with optic design and optical testing
- Experience in dense wavelength multiplexing highly desirable
- Experience in optical modeling highly desirable
- A minimum of 5 years experience in high power diode laser and associated characterization techniques
- Must have proven ability to work on multiple products/projects
- Excellent communication and team work skills; capability to work on projects and tasks in a matrix organization
- Proficient in documenting and reporting complex subjects
- Independent and highly motivated
- Ability to focus, structure complex problems and a strong drive to solve problems