Product Support Engineer Job in Charlotte, North Carolina
Purpose of Position:
To provide expert technical support for key external customers, Marketing, and Sales for emerging products and solutions. This would include engagement in all aspects of a new product from concept development to training and support of product installation at customers’ sites globally. Work closely with Market Development to identify and execute new product innovations required by global accounts. Have awareness of competitive activity and product designs to minimize risk to Corning.
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
- Engage with Technology during the development phase of key innovative products to ensure key customers’ requirements are being addressed and ease of field installation and testing are maximized.
- Work in partnership with Global Account Managers to drive revenue through the application of consultative technical selling skills to ensure that all technical needs are met for global strategic accounts
- Drive requirements for customer facing tools and technical portal content.
- Share knowledge by training our internal support staff and Sales teams.
- Use creativity and resourcefulness to create technical customer reference documents/videos
- Assist customers when possible to create Bills of Materials that specify the use of Corning products.
- Travel when possible with our sales team ensuring that the appropriate technical messages are delivered to the customer.
- Assist with Voice of Customer (VOC) engagement ensuring that customer feedback is understood and effectively communicated to the appropriate people within Market Development and Product Line Management and Technology.
- Liaison with PLM and product development and to resolve systemic field issues for existing products.
- Requirements include, but are not limited to Business team participation, Development team participation, Evaluation plan development and execution, Field trial development and execution
- Maintain contact with key customers, suppliers, or other third-party organizations (e.g., test facilities, competitors, etc.).
- Organize or conduct internal training as required for new and existing products.
- Support commercialization of new products.
- Author internal and external technical documents to support the product commercial initiatives.
- Author external commercial documents to support product commercial initiatives.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Support Assigned Product(s)
- Develop and maintain a high level of expertise on optical fiber, hardware, connectivity, and cable products.
- Respond to internal/external customer inquiries.
- Support departmental objectives.
- Participate on project teams as required, typically in support of product development activities.
- Up to 25% Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40hrs.,
- Experience as a US military officer (JMO – O2/O3)
- BS in Engineering preferred (Mechanical or Electrical)
- Completion of Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (EIT) or PE a plus
- RCDD a plus
- Minimum of four years in a position of leadership
- Strong organizational, leadership, and project management skills.
- Ability to plan and track project deliverables from high level guidance.
- Ability to effectively speak and present to groups of up to 30
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing competing time and resource requirements.
- Ability to quickly assimilate technical and commercial data from multiple sources and to consolidate these into a comprehensive technical position.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Hands-on work ethic.
- Proficiency with current desktop computer software including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Visio, MS PowerPoint.
- 100% proficiency in English, written and verbal.
- Experience in fiber optic cable and component installation practices
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical subjects to non-technical people.
- Comfortable working with all organizational levels. Interaction is common with plant hourly, plant management, technical/professional, and executive leadership personnel.
- Confident in dealing with external customers.
- Engaging personality with the ability to drive change.