Optics Research Associate Job in Corning, Sunnyvale
Corning is seeking optical scientists and engineers looking to use Corning’s unique materials to develop active optical systems. Candidates should have experience with optical architecture design, simulation as well as prototyping, and testing. This is an opportunity to work with talented interdisciplinary teams that span the globe.
This position, Research Associate, Optical Design, is in the Optical Applications Research group of Corning’s Science and Technology Division and located in Sunnyvale, CA. Optical Applications Research works with customers and technology partners to understand the requirements of emerging optical applications and develops novel solutions that can be efficiently manufactured.
Day to Day Responsibilities
• Investigate emerging optical applications. Initiate/support research projects to create new industry-changing product categories leveraging Corning materials and processes
• Work with customers, partners, and team members to determine requirements for new products
• Identify and evaluate potential system design concepts to meet optical performance targets and satisfy form-factor, environmental, and manufacturing constraints.
• Design, simulate, prototype, and test optical systems incorporating novel optical components
• Invent differentiated components and sub-systems and protect with patents
MS or Ph.D. in Optical or Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related field. 5+ years of experience.
• Demonstrated experience developing multi-element optical systems to meet challenging requirements
• Knowledge of optical modeling and design tools based on ray and physical optics (such as Zemax, Code V, LightTools, Lumerical) and familiarity with their limitations.
• Ability to design and build laboratory test systems to verify/troubleshoot system performance
• Knowledge of programming/scripting tools such as Python, Matlab, Ruby, PERL, C/C++
• Ability to work collaboratively in multifunctional teams spread over multiple locations
• Ability to learn new applications quickly and deeply
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
< 20%, domestic and some international travel required (when pandemic conditions permit)
This position supports visa assistance