Measurement Engineer Job at Corning facility in Painted Post, New York.
As a Measurements Engineer you will:
- Develop new manufacturing processes, technologies and methods primarily focused on measurement systems and their integration into the production process flow.
- Creation and extraction of information from an image, including development and modification of imaging technologies for the measurement system.
- Combine image processing with machine hardware knowledge to optimize measurement performance and improve metrology capabilities.
- Provide technical leadership in developing and documenting process controls, standardized methods, and procedures for measurement systems.
- Work directly with Plant, Division, and Technology Engineering on the development of new measurement systems and improvements/upgrades to existing systems. Supports manufacturing improvement initiatives, including variability reduction, defect reduction, process control improvement with a primary focus on measurement systems
- Participate in manufacturing and development activities to canvass/identify measurement development needs that provide enhanced product attributes, cost reductions, or other competitive advantages.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Individual contributor lead or team member with ownership of a significant part of the accomplishment within the manufacturing plant or division
- Manages highly complex task with many variables and stakeholders across multiple functions/facilities
- Function as the primary point of contact to support/maintain measurement equipment and systems in the plant
- Drive continuous improvements to the existing manufacturing measurements systems through improved measurement system interfaces and implementing process automation where applicable
- Understand system level problem statements and identify potential solutions, develop novel approaches to solve complex problems, and make quick critical experiments to demonstrate the feasibility
- Lead cross-functional work-stream project teams to support process improvements through measurement software and hardware upgrades, focusing on process cost, quality, and capability
- Perform project management and documentation activities
- Provide progress reports to key stakeholders and organizational leadership
- Utilize statistical tools, engineering data, and DMAIC/DESGN/Lean/MEE methodologies to develop process understanding to support robust manufacturing processes and Measurement systems
- Work with Technology, Division Engineering, and Plant Engineering to develop and introduce new measurements technologies and upgrade existing measurement systems (includes participation in the design, building, testing, and extension of various measurement systems)
- Participate in cross-functional and virtual project teams
- Develop and execute Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA), Gauge R&R studies, design of experiments (DOE), and data analysis to identify opportunities and implement improvements to the measurement systems or production process
- Create/update documentation for release to production including operating procedures, PM, and troubleshooting
- Train engineering, maintenance, and operations personnel on how to use and maintain plant measurement systems
- Demonstrate knowledge and capability related to measurement systems used in the plant, along with commercially available measurement systems and other applicable technologies
- The schedule includes a weekend on-call rotation every 7 weeks to be the primary contact for manufacturing issues related to metrology engineering support
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in one of the following disciplines: Mechatronic, Imaging Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Mathematics
- 1 or more years working in a similar position (e.g.: as a Test Equipment Engineer) in a manufacturing environment (can include internships and/or co-op experience)
- Minimum of 1+ years of experience in System development, system integration, software system development; experience in Software Optics or vision-based design and implementation
- Experience in software development (e.g. Mat lab, C++, VB.Net, image analysis, data analysis)
- Background in computer programs like C#, VB.net, Lab view, Wit, C++, etc.
- Experience using software that efficiently analyzes large data sets
- Knowledge of electrical/optical/mechanical installations, including system checkout and troubleshooting
- Some exposure to electrical/controls, instrumentation (e.g. sensors), and vision systems technologies
- Experience debugging and bringing to production controls/vision systems
- Some exposure in optical theory, image capture, lighting, cameras, 3rd party imaging tools, image processing, and visualization techniques.
- Problem solving skills with hands-on approach
- Basic project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, timelines, etc.)
- Six Sigma Green Belt / Black Belt certification
- Course work or experience with using tools such as Solid works, Cero Parametric, etc.
- Some exposure to high powered laser systems
- Some exposure to precision optical systems
- Experience with image analysis (vision measurement systems)
- Communication and presentation skills
- Organizational skills