Research Intern – Optical Physics Modeling in Corning, New York
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14831
Requisition Number: 52572
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
• Assist with the development and coding of Graphical User Interface (GUI) using API driven commercial raytracing program LightTools.
• The role requires knowledge of python programing, including GUI programming, and excellent communication skills.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Work in a team implementing software to enable customized creation of models for Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) optical simulation
• Review existing python based Lighttools Controller (LTC) software
• Adjust and update existing software code to work with new version of Lighttools, compile a distribution version of GUI software, document, generalize procedure to accommodate future version releases. Implement GUI and object-oriented models of optical elements for LCD designs.
• Perform calculations by generating several designs of layered display structures to verify correct implementation and generate new data with the software.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Monday to Friday, regular business hours 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Expertise in scientific programming
• GUI Object Oriented programming
• Python, Python PyQt5, Model-View Controller (MVC) design
• Knowledge of optics Soft Skills:
• Strong communication skills, and ability to work as a team member.