5G/FTTX Application Solutions Manager Job in Charlotte, North Carolina
Purpose of Position:
Visionary for the 5G FTTH Applications Space. Understands and/or has the ability to understand the application deeply from the customer perspective including their pain points today and into the future. With this information, this person will identify new sources of competitive differentiation & incremental opportunities for Corning via specific product innovations, software innovations, service innovations and/or strategic partnerships. This person will be able to create a view of our collective product strategies across multiple time horizons (Short term, Mid-Term, and long-term) in the application space and articulate this to the rest of the organization. Executing the 5G FTTH Solutions Application Strategy Act as a high level leader to drive execution of the overall application solution strategy across product lines and functions. This includes: Broadly articulating the vision, developing the comprehensive business case to initiate resource deployment, rallying support & aligning the critical program work-streams. Also ensuring solution value prop & business model is understood internally and effectively articulated externally.
- Develops and manages a compelling business and value proposition for the solution relative to the division’s strategy, market needs, and competition. Identifies commercial, technical, and manufacturing levers to improve the program’s business case.
- Oversees evaluation to confirm the initial value proposition, build a fundamental understanding of the technology that enables continued differentiation, and ensure manufacturing implementation of requirements are met.
- Identifies products that should be included in the solution, including those that may not be in Corning’s current portfolio, and strategies to develop, partner, or acquire. Identifies other adjacent or emerging opportunities.
- Defines and executes an overall program plan, including financial and people resources that allow the program to scale appropriately in each stage to meet program objectives and remain within budget.
- Drives the program’s progress, reconfirming the program’s value proposition at each stage, and recommending the progression (or elimination) of the program at each stage to leadership, as appropriate.
- Constantly monitors for changes in customer requirements/scope or other assumptions and determines the impact on the program’s strategy, business case, business model, predicted level of risk, resource requirements, speed, and value proposition.
- Works with customers during each stage to keep them engaged, to manage the scope of the program, and to interpret their perception of the product being developed.
- Monitors key competitors and develop mitigation plans for their actions or potential responses.
- Sets key program messages and manages the information flow related to program direction, issues, needs, and progress with key program constituencies including business leadership, corporate leadership, customers, and team members.
- Works closely with a cross-functional team to develop the solution that includes Product Line Managers, Market Development, Commercial Technology, and Technology, Applications Marketing as well as other groups involved in the solution creation process. Ensure alignment with Program Management Office.
- Identifies potential origins of strategic control, ensures that intellectual property is protected.
- Ensure profitability and share targets are met after launch.
- Conduct Customer Insight Research (CIR) using various techniques to execute the solution development process to ensure that the above is accomplished. This includes discovering the biggest customer problems and leading company innovation efforts to solve these problems with differentiated solutions.
- Ensures that road maps are maintained that monitor general trends, standards, technology, competition, and application trends in order to develop meaningful solutions that meet short and long term needs.
- Executing and contributing to the solution development process. This will include working with the cross functional teams to “rally” support for the initiative, coordinating, and contributing to the process to hit desired results.
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal, and influencing skills at all levels of an organization (team, peer, and executive levels) with a demonstrated ability to build relationships in a heavily matrixed, team environment.
- Demonstrated personal initiative with a track record of completing challenging business objectives.
- Customer contact experience and the ability to translate needs into relevant and actionable program requirements.
- Effective leadership, organization, and planning skills, with the ability to handle ambiguity, changing priorities, and changing requirements in a matrixed team.
- Ability to manage and effectively leverage a team of diverse expertise, backgrounds, cultures, and styles.
- Financial skills in the creation and evaluation of potential business strategies.
- Independent problem solving and development of the approach to solutions.
- Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment.
- Business acumen
- Experience in launching complex product solutions to the market to excel adoption of solutions
- Experience in Customer Insight Research (CIR) techniques such as interviews, surveys, and observation to create solutions that have meaningful customer value. Use of CIR to create robust value propositions that can be used for broad market adoption of solutions.
- Multiple-year work experience in at least two of the following areas: Sales, Product Line Management, and/or Market Development
- Carrier access network application expertise including network equipment and network physical and logical architecture
- Physical connectivity understanding including fiber optic splicing, termination, and testing
- Work experience in emerging technologies or new business development (i.e., adjacent market /existing technology)
- Entrepreneurial attitude and approach toward the creation of new solutions
- Creative problem solver
- Desire to create solutions and processes
- Process discipline oriented. Follows established protocols and processes. Evaluates opportunities for improvements.
- B.S. or B.A. degree required, MBA or equivalent work experience desired
- Extensive experience in the management of complex, cross-functional, culturally diverse teams containing both technical and commercial roles
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience
- ~25% travel, domestic and international travel expected. The amount of travel time will vary based on the program needs and the base location of the candidate.