Optical Metrology Engineer Job in Fairport, New York
Scope of Position:
Devise comprehensive test methods to measure, analyze and optimize complex lens assemblies and optical modules.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work within multi-disciplined project teams that analyze, engineer & build lens systems from conception to completion.
- Design optical test methods to align and qualify complex optical systems for imaging, non-imaging and metrology systems.
- Collaborate with software, electrical and mechanical engineers to design and integrate fully functional metrology equipment/test benches.
- Create and document metrology methods and procedures for transfer to manufacturing.
- Train manufacturing personnel to execute measurement and optimization tasks.
- 10%, domestic & international. Typical travel includes training, networking opportunities, customer visits, and benchmarking activities as required.
Hours of work:
- Typical work hours, M-F, 8am-5pm. Extra and off hours may be required during times of heightened project activity in order to meet deliverables
- Work location is currently a hybrid In-Office and Work-From-Home arrangement and will revert to fully In-Office when CV19 restrictions are lifted.
Required Education & Experience:
- B.S. in Optics or Physics is desired, M.S. a plus.
- 3-5 years in designing or testing precision optical systems. Experience in UV a plus.
- Ability to function on a product development team of multi-disciplinary engineers.
- Experience and understanding of geometrical optics and optical test methods. (interferometry, wavefront sensing, aerial image analysis, radiometry, polarization/polarimetry, etc)
- Experience with autocollimation/alignment telescopes, optical and mechanical alignment techniques, precision spindles and goniometers electro-optics, precision mechanics.
- Familiarity with the safe use of lasers.
- Familiarity with optical modeling software (lens design, image analysis & interferometry)
- Proficiency in Excel is required. Matlab, and other analytical software applications is desired.
- Must have strong laboratory skills working in a cleanroom environment.
- Must have strong presentation and technical writing skills to enable communication within the program team and with internal and external customers