This position has extensive knowledge of underground fiber optic utility construction operations including equipment used, labor skills, safe digging operations, OSHA requirements, etc. This role will be overseeing underground fiber optic utility installation projects of various sizes and scope of work. This position works under minimal supervision and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of assigned projects from commencement to completion. Responsible for all financial reporting on a project as well as tracking and projecting of all labor, material, job expenses, and changes. Manages monthly financial projections, creation of job specific schedule of values that maintain positive cash flow, and will create, submit, and manage all submittals throughout the entire project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all financial reporting, tracking, and projection of all labor, material, job expense, and changes for each project assigned.
- Manage Superintendent created/CAD/BIM construction drawings to ensure appropriate installation.
- 80% Travel Ability Nationwide
- Drive division profitability through effective project execution.
- Manage, mentor, and develop direct reports and supervise indirect reports.
- Ensure schedule requirements are met for all projects. Readily adjust priorities and milestones based upon changing customer needs, resource availability, and job requirements.
- Interact with the customer to validate expectations are understood and met before, during, and after project completion.
- Develop and lead project management techniques and schedule goals, procurement, and contractual requirements, personnel assignments, and capacity planning.
- Monthly financial projections for each project assigned.
- Create a project-specific Schedule of Values that will maintain positive cash flow for each project assigned.
- Monthly progress billing for each project assigned
- Create, submit, and manage and maintain all submittals, drawings, correspondence, and change logs throughout the entire project.
- Submit, review for added cost, file, and log all RFI’s.
- Price, budget, track, sell and collect all proposed changes.
- Oversee invoice per project terms and negotiate appropriate change orders.
- Prepare, organize, and manage material buyouts.
- Schedule and track material releases. Coordinate with GC, project schedule, and Superintendent as needed.
- Actively assist and partner with the project Superintendent on miscellaneous issues as necessary. (Material, information, special items, constructability, safety)
- Set up all cost codes and production tracking with Superintendent
- Assist Superintendent in production tracking and analysis.
- Weekly Jobsite visits and attends all Jobsite meetings as required.
- Project schedule analysis. Issue notices and alerts as required.
- Organize and submit job closeout documentation. (As-builts, O&M’s.)
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure efficient and effective completion of the project.
Education and Experience
- BSEE or Construction Management preferred, high school diploma required.
- Experience with underground construction, trenching, plowing, and boring in regard to long haul fiber optics cabling.
- Working knowledge of fiber optic testing procedures.
- Knowledge of building/reading spice plans
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and assist in winning projects.
- Prior experience in electrical estimating.
- Substation, transmission, and distraction project experience.
- Strong computer skills.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Proven people management, process management, and performance management skills.
- Field experience coordination with construction management.
- Strong budget tracking, labor tracking, and scheduling skills.
- Proven experience and ability to analyze information and set up budgets.
- Extensive knowledge of project scheduling, bids, take-offs, change orders, and contracts.
- Knowledge of financial software, accounting practices, change order pricing, and billings.
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Working knowledge of general construction.
- Working knowledge of safety procedures and a true believer in safety.
- Current and valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job may work inside or outside with possible exposure to extreme hot or cold temperatures and weather elements in restricted or confined spaces, and on slippery or uneven surfaces. This job may have exposure to working on ladders, scaffolds, aerial lifts, catwalks, and other exposures typical of heavy construction. This job also operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to traverse and inspect all areas of Jobsite in all types of weather; this may include walking, climbing reaching, bending crawling, standing, or stretching.
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 40 pounds. Move about on the feet regularly. Sit for extended periods of time.
- Requires the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- May require travel.
- Exposure to characteristic construction site dangers.
- Talk and hear, ability to communicate with others both written and orally and by telephone.
- Possess good vision, normal or corrected. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Possesses good hearing, normal or corrected. Wear personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, safety vest), as needed.
- Must be able to work 8 hours a day, 40 hours per week, and overtime as required and night shifts, as needed. Must be on-call to address delays, emergencies, bad weather, and other issues at the Jobsite.
- Must be able to work in the presence of customers and their representatives with little or no interference or disruption to the customer while maintaining a professional and courteous image.
CEC Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in our workforce. It is our policy to attract and retain the best-qualified people available, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, status as a military veteran, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.