Quality Engineer jobs at Corning’s facility in Newton, North Carolina, The United States.
Summary: The Quality and Continuous Improvement Engineer drives process improvements by leading and supporting projects and engaging the organization to adopt Continuous Improvement (CI) tools and techniques for achieving Total Quality; provides technical support to the overall deployment of CI initiatives in support of the CI Plan; drives Quality initiatives in support of the plant’s Quality Strategy with specific support of Lean and Green Belt projects; works to strengthen the Product Quality Architecture within the plant by driving fundamental understanding to positively influence the Quality Management System. Reports up through Quality.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead and support projects to deliver significant operational performance improvements, process control, and cost reduction.
- Provide day-to-day problem-solving support to operations and engineering
- Collaborate and motivate others to establish a sense of urgency for continuous improvement principles to drive results.
- Assist the organization to identify cost critical processes, determine customer requirements, measure and assess their performance, and enable them to be improved via CI tools.
- Work with leadership to identify, prioritize, resource, and manage opportunities for improvements.
- Interface with operators, team leaders, process engineers, and peers to identify and implement improvements to our Quality Management System
- Lead efforts to streamline process audits while maintaining achieved certifications from standards bodies
- Perform multiple execution activities to accomplish project objectives while balancing the project’s competing demands, scope, time, and cost.
- Build/update communication plans that build understanding and buy-in for the case for action to integrate CI, i.e., value stream, budgeting, CI planning.
- Supplement process improvements with Lean or Six Sigma tools where appropriate.
- Lead and Support process validation activities as needed.
- Lead by example; demonstrate lean leadership in day-to-day processes such as decision-making, personal behaviors, and effective use of meetings.
- Drive sustainable culture change while embedding lean as the standard way of working across the operation.
- Lead, support, coach, and develop a pipeline of continuous improvement leaders.
- Understand internal and external customer’s stated and implied needs as well as insuring their expectations are met every time by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and continuously improving plant quality systems.
- Track and report on critical quality metrics. Alert appropriate levels to trends and critical quality issues.
- Interface with various levels of plant and division management regarding quality and quality-related actions (Product Line Management, Engineering, Sales, Customer Service, Scheduling, Production, Inter-Plant, Inter-Division).
- We are seeking candidates with a Bachelors Degree in Engineering.
- 3+ years of experience working in manufacturing.
- Six Sigma Green Belt preferred.
- Experience in areas of Six Sigma, Lean, or other Problem-Solving methodologies
- Applied knowledge of statistical analysis including histogram, Pareto, correlation, hypothesis tests, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Capability Analysis, and Measurement System Analysis (MSA).
- Applied knowledge in Lean concepts such as value chain, flow, pull and tools commonly used to eliminate waste, including kaizen, 5S, error-proofing, value-stream mapping, etc.
- Knowledge of quality engineering principles such as Voice of Customer (VOC), Voice of Process (VOP), risk analysis, control plans, sampling plans, financial proforma (verification of cost impact), and good documentation practices.
- Six Sigma Black Belt certified
- Demonstrated project management excellence with a strong track record of results
- Excellent team facilitation/leadership skills and teamwork/collaborative style
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation skills
- Ability to deliver under tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities while focusing on details.
- Proficiency with key PC software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills including facilitation, consulting, coaching, and influencing
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability and passion to create a vision and drive change
Working knowledge of Performance Excellence, DMAIC, DESGN