Opto-Mechanical Process Development Engineer in Fairport, New York
Scope of Position:
- Concurrently with the product development team, define, develop and deliver the lowest cost manufacturing processes that meet all technical requirements to the production plant(s). This position will primarily support the Laser Optics (LO) manufacturing group with mechanical design and process development responsibilities.
- Manufacturing Engineers are key members of the product development teams starting with program launch to enable early involvement and concurrent engineering of manufacturing processes.
- Process development is accomplished in a consistent, standardized manner utilizing a knowledge center of best practices and DF/X methodologies.
- Engage the plant receivers (process engineering, operations associates, quality, supply chain, etc.) during the development phase through informal and formal design reviews.
- LO product / process development encompasses the mechanical design of all required tooling and the development of any new processes required to produce the product.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Solid modeling of all fixtures & tools needed to realize the final product using Creo CAD software.
- Optimize existing processes or create new processes to increase yield, throughput and in turn lower cost
- To champion the use of DF/X tools on product development teams
- Provide expertise on the implementation and execution of DF/X principles and tools, facilitating their correct use. Identify opportunities to add new or improve existing DF/X tools and develop as appropriate.
- Consider lowest production costs with design alternatives
- Attempt to eliminate manufacturing/assembly waste with product design
- Ensure products are designed for stable processes that are already in use; if current processes do not meet new requirements, develop new processes concurrently during product development.
- Update and maintain design guidelines.
- Participate in the Preliminary Design Review (PDR) and Critical Design Review (CDR) of all new product development.
- Perform Manufacturing Risk Assessments and manage Risk Reduction activities.
- Lead the Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) for all manufacturing and process areas.
- Responsible for work center layout, floor plan, and product flow.
- Includes prototype capacities and a plan to meet forecast production rate.
- Specify manufacturing equipment, tools, fixtures, test equipment with their facility requirements.
- Develop process flow charts, work instructions, process sheets, checklists, forms, and other required documentation.
- Responsible for pre-transfer (prototypes & pilots) build quality and delivery commitments.
- Maintain product knowledge throughout the lifecycle to support the plant’s management of the product line after TG5 transfer.
- Protect intellectual property by documenting key competitive processes.
- Stay current with the latest manufacturing ideologies and seek out the appropriate experts when needed.
- Assess existing manufacturing capability gaps and recommend development activities
- Minimum Bachelor Degree Required – Optical (preferred) or Mechanical Engineer
- 3+ years experience
- Experience using 3D solid modeling software
- Experience with process development in an optics shop environment
- Experience in cost reduction of optical components through process and equipment improvements
- Knowledge of plano polishing on pitch lapping equipment
- Knowledge of optical metrology equipment including interferometers & autocollimators
Production Supervisor Job in Reynosa, Mexico
Product Support Engineer Job in Charlotte, North Carolina
Development Engineer Job in Hickory, North Carolina
Optical Metrology Engineer Job in Fairport, New York