Optical Designer Job in Fairport, New York
Scope of Position:
Provide optical design for custom precision optical systems, serving as a key member of the product development team.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work within multi-disciplined project teams to analyze, engineer & build lens systems from conception to completion.
- Lens design form development of complex optical systems distilled from customer requirements.
- Realization of a fabrication production strategy for multi element lens systems using custom sensitivity and tolerancing software.
- Collaborate with system metrology engineers to develop appropriate test and optimization stations.
- Provide optical design support to the manufacturing team.
- 10%. Typical travel includes training, networking opportunities, customer visits, and benchmarking activities as required.
Hours of work:
- Typical work hours, M-F, 8am-5pm. Extra and off hours may be required during times of heightened project activity in order to meet deliverables.
- Is currently a hybrid In-Office and Work-From-Home arrangement and will revert to fully In-Office when CV19 restrictions are lifted.
- 4-yr technical degree with the following order of preference: Optical Design, Optical Engineering; Physics
- 2-3 years experience of applied optical design.
- Experience in UV optical systems a plus.
- Imaging and Illumination Systems preferred
- Experience with optical design software packages such as CodeV (preferred), Zemax, OSLO, etc.
- A solid foundation and understanding of aberration theory, geometrical optics and physical optics.
- Knowledge with lens testing methods such as interferometry, modulation transfer function and wavefront sensing.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Confidence in interaction with all levels of the organization. (Production techs to Sr. Leadership)
- Ability to function on a product development team of multi-disciplinary engineers