Location: Hickory, NC, US, 28601
Requisition Number: 42306
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware, and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry. This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data, and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments, and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position: Apply knowledge of engineering principles and practices to effectively accomplish technical assignments and projects. Makes decisions independently based upon sound engineering and scientific methods. Actively participates within and beyond department boundaries to resolve important process and product issues. Enhance manufacturing capabilities through the implementation of new ideas and methods. Independently executes projects to fulfill department goals and objectives.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Provide day-to-day problem-solving support to production operations
• Analyze data to understand process capability and monitor process trends to drive continued manufacturing excellence
• Identify process improvement and cost reduction projects based on analysis of process data. The individual is expected to utilize the scientific method to develop, test, and prove hypotheses.
• Prepare cost justifications and capital requests for any new equipment purchases that may be required to achieve project goals.
• Interface with operators, team leaders, and peers to develop and implement the process, equipment, or safety improvements into manufacturing.
• Oversee all aspects of bringing new equipment into production, including preparation of financial justification, designing, specifying, purchasing, as well as tracking all spending related to the project. Develop maintenance and operator training documentation, conducting equipment qualification and initial training of production personnel, and making provisions for repair parts stocking levels. Formally document all aspects of the project
• Support the transfer of new cabling technology, materials, or processes from development to production. Provide processing support during product development, develop plans as to how the equipment/processes will be employed into production, and ensure that the new technology is repeatable in a production environment prior to transfer. Ensure all production and maintenance documentation is completed such as MI’s, SOP’s, PM’s, and calibration.
Travel Requirements: Less than 10%
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime: 8 am – 5 pm, support off shift as needed
Required Education: Bachelor of Science in Engineering or other technical fields
Required Years and Area of Desired: 2-5 years experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
• Creative/innovative problem solving
• Strong technical fundamentals with process engineering skills
• Able to collaborate across organizational boundaries and integrate solutions
• Results-oriented and high commitment
• The ability to learn new technology and processes quickly
• Experience with Statistical packages such as Minitab
• Skill with Structured Problem Solving such as DMAIC or PDCA
• Knowledge of plastic extrusion technologies, Cabling processes and equipment, and/or UV Curable technologies
• Six Sigma Greenbelt or equivalent experience
• Project Management including Cost Estimation, Project Planning, and Execution
• Experience programming PLCs in a manufacturing environment
• Can establish a broad network across the engineering and technology organizations
• Good verbal/written communication and presentation skills
• Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
• Planning and organization
• Effective in managing multiple priorities
• Can give and receive coaching to/from peers and Technicians
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.