Location: Hickory, North Carolina, United States
The Product Development Engineer will design and develop fiber optic connectors, connector components and connector processes. Develop, plan, and coordinate projects and technical aspects of fiber optic connector/ferrule customer requirements through direct involvement with Applications Engineering and Sales.
* Design and develop multi-fiber optical connectors.
* Develop strategic supplier relationships as appropriate
* Plan and coordinate projects for each new product assigned including scheduling of resources and status reports
* Maintain a high level of expertise in the following areas: fiber, cable, PCB and TX/RX connectors, connector installation, testing, and troubleshooting.
* Prepare all specifications, documents and forms necessary to transfer products to manufacturing, marketing, and sales.
* Prepare conference papers on new technology or products.
* Provide technical assistance as required by Marketing, Sales, and Manufacturing groups.
* Maintain documentation for possible patent submission.
* Act as a focal point for all technical issues on fiber, cable, connectors, hardware and system performance for Marketing and Sales Groups.
* Propose new product ideas to add to current product line.
* Personal Computers
* Software packages: MS Excel, MS Word, CAD
* Optical test equipment, microscopes, Surface Profiler, Interferometer, environmental chambers, optical fiber termination equipment
* Optical modeling and finite element analysis
Education and Skill Required:
* BS in technical or engineering field
* 5+ years previous work experience in fiber optic industry or communications systems (This can include cooperative education programs.)
* Fundamental working knowledge of computers to include word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet or database programs
* Statistical Analysis
* Background in optics and optical modeling and Zemax experience is required.