Location: Corning, NY, US, 14831
Requisition Number: 39435
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
The candidate will be responsible for delivering high impact in the organization by developing enabling software systems for the Research, Development, and Engineering divisions at Corning. Delivering software solutions will be accomplished through the evolution of innovative concepts across early-stage experimentation, proof-of-concept demonstrations, and prototypes. The role requires a multidisciplinary approach including mechanical engineering, controls and software development, and scientific leadership. The candidate should feel comfortable working within and communicating among a small team of individuals with diverse talents. The candidate will focus on developing and then integrating state-of-the-art enterprise lab management systems and software solutions in a research and development environment:
• Work closely with internal customers to understand and develop system specifications and constraints.
• Create project timeline, budgets, and, bills of materials.
• Research various technologies and select suitable approaches for meeting project requirements.
• Develop a system concept to present to stakeholders
• Engineer a proof-of-concept prototype system
• Work with and/or forming a small multidisciplinary team to meet system specification or project timelines
• Work with project stakeholders to ensure designs meet the project requirements and timelines and budget stay within expectations.
• Deploy and test designed systems
• Work with the customer to understand system performance and limitations.
• Transfer system technology, including documentation and design packages, to R&D, MTE, or Division Engineering.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Develop and maintain lab and operations management applications using modern web technologies.
• Debug custom or commercial software and communication issues
• Design, build, and maintain database objects.
• Work in an ever-changing research work environment.
• Communicate with stakeholders to refine project scope and to share progress toward project milestones
• Track and communicate project scope changes with financial and timeline impacts with stakeholders
• Develop system documentation, including machine specifications and SOPs
• Transfer system expertise to customers, including hands-on training.
Travel Requirements: Travel frequency and length are project-dependent and typically <5% of total work hours.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Standard hours are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.
Required Education: B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
Required Years and Area of Experience: A band new graduate to 4 yrs. experience
2. User interface application development
3. Follow software development best practices
4. Ability to adapt to a changing environment and requirements
5. Strong problem-solving skills based on data-driven decisions and a deep understanding of sources of error
6. Result-oriented, including a track record of managing multiple projects and priorities
1. Other language skills such as. C#, VB, Adobe ColdFusion.
2. Experience with development tools such as Sublime Text 3, Dell Toad, Subversion SVN
3. Experience with libraries such as jQuery, Twitter Bootstrap, handlebars.js,
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
1. To work independently and as part of a small team
2. To communicate effectively across multiple levels of the organization, including presentation and written skills
3. To work effectively in a matrix organization, including balancing project and functional priorities
4. To actively seek out subject matter experts in order to broaden the fundamental process and product understanding
5. Passion for technology, software development, and enabling customers.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.