Location: Kingston and St. Andrew
Job type: Permanent full-time
After 14 years of operation, Digicel Group Limited has over 13 million customers across its 32 markets in the Caribbean, Central America and Asia Pacific. The company is renowned for delivering best value, best service and best network.
Digicel is the lead sponsor of Caribbean, Central American and Pacific sports teams, including the Special Olympics teams throughout these regions. Digicel sponsors the West Indies Cricket Team and is also the title sponsor of the Caribbean Premier League. In the Pacific, Digicel is the proud sponsor of several national rugby teams and also sponsors the Vanuatu cricket team.
Digicel also runs a host of community-based initiatives across its markets and has set up Digicel Foundations in Jamaica, Haiti, Papua New Guinea and Trinidad & Tobago which focus on educational, cultural and social development programmes.
Digicel is incorporated in Bermuda and its markets comprise: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Bonaire, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Curacao, Dominica, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Myanmar, Nauru, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, St Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Suriname, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos and Vanuatu. Digicel also has coverage in St. Martin and St. Barts in the Caribbean.
We invite applications for a new Digicel Opportunity –OSP Fibre Engineer
Primary objective of the job:
This position is responsible for the engineering, construction, maintenance, installation and commissioning of the company’s fibre optic network and related services.
Number of persons managed/supervised and their positions: 0
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
– Ensuring correct work methods in according to health and safety and cable vender instructions.
– Directly designs, engineers and / or directs the design of the fibre optic network.
– Directs personnel in the construction of the fibre optic network.
– Directs personnel in the maintenance of the fibre optic network.
– Directs both city and contract personnel in the installation of PON services to business and residential customers of the network.
– Researches and recommends which OSP materials are to be used in the fibre optic network.
– Analyses material performance and makes changes as needed.
– Directs the development of troubleshooting and maintenance schedules and protocols.
– Coordinates work with contractors and other departments as needed to construct and maintain the fibre optic network.
– Recommends specific training requirements to appropriate personnel as related to the fibre optic and building maintenance.
– Prepares and / or supervises the preparation of construction drawings for the fibre optic network.
– Approves the design and expenditures of all additions to the OSP fibre optic network.
– Performs and / or manages special projects as assigned.
– Works closely with the OSP Manager in the design of the fibre optic network.
Academic qualifications and experience required for job:
– A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the fibre optic cabling business/environment/including testing
– Previous experience of supervising teams out in the field a decided advantage
– Have certificates or training for installation and commissioning of Fibre Optic cables
– Experienced in using power measurements and the OTDR
– Experience in both buried, direct buried and overhead cabling methods
– Knowledge of CAD OR GIS a distinct advantage
– Advanced knowledge of the planning, design and engineering of OSP fibre optic networks.
– Knowledge of the standards, materials, techniques and equipment used in the installation, maintenance, and repair of OSP fiber optic
– Knowledge of fiber optic transmission
– Knowledge of policies and procedures and relevant laws and regulations
– Ability to develop a long range construction program to expand and upgrade the OSP fibre optic network.
– Excellent use of PC skills including Micro-Soft suite
– Attentive to detail
– Self-motivated and result-oriented approach to work
– Strong organizational skills
– Ability to multi-task and deliver against competing priorities
– Ability to build strong relationships and work as part of inter-disciplinary teams
– Ability to strive in a fast-paced and demanding service environment
– Able to operate autonomously and demonstrate initiative in problem solving, decision making and proactive approach to job.
– Confidentiality and trustworthiness.
– Initiative and resourcefulness in the conduct of duties.
– Strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
– Ability to relate to a diverse working environment.
– Computer Literate in a Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, etc)
– Report / Business Writing Skills
– Supervisory Skills
– Internal departments
– Various contractors and suppliers
Authority: (those task in which there is total control and autonomy in execution – e.g. approving vouchers, signing cheques, delegating task.) Please
state limits where possible.
– Full authority to act within scope of responsibility
– Authority to execute other activities as directed by the OSP Manager
Working Conditions: (e.g. dust, dirt, heat, abnormal hours, frequent travel, overtime, etc.)
– dust, heat, dirt, abnormal conditions, long hours
In return, you will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, enterprising environment, where your skills will be valued and rewarded. Digicel recognizes our staff and management team are largely responsible for our success to date. Digicel’s unique culture is driven by an entrepreneurial style encapsulated by our Chairman, board of directors and management, all seasoned telecom executives and industry experts with vast experience in building, expanding and marketing mobile services globally.