Alcatel-Lucent is to expand its portfolio of ultra-broadband access products with a new platform that will help cable multiple system operators (MSOs) in North America extend the reach of their 10 gibabit-speed fiber-optic services to more businesses and consumers.
The FX-12 platform – which will join the 7360 ISAM FX product family – will provide high-capacity access capabilities for large-scale deployments of ultra-broadband services for residences and businesses. FX-12 builds on Alcatel-Lucent’s leadership and investment in fiber-based ultra-broadband access solutions for cable MSOs, expanding on the company’s earlier introduction of an EPON platform designed specifically for cable networks. The introduction of the FX-12 is consistent with Alcatel-Lucent’s focus on expanding its business in markets beyond its traditional communications service provider customer base.
FX-12 offers an attractive new 19 inch-wide high-capacity shelf optimized for the deployment of EPON, both 10G and 1G, in cable MSOs networks. The new platform helps to maximize port density and ensures more efficient use of very limited space, an important consideration for all MSOs. It also features embedded support for a critical capability called DOCSIS® provisioning of EPON (DPoE™) that enables cable MSOs to support EPON access technology while still using their existing back office systems and processes.
The FX-12 augments the popular 7360 FX portfolio of hardened shelves including the FX-8 and FX-4. All of these shelves are designed to provide 10G EPON with DPoE for outdoor, ruggedized deployment scenarios as well as hub office locations.
- Alcatel-Lucent has expanded its portfolio of ultra-broadband fiber access products to better support the needs of cable MSOs.
- This move highlights the company’s strengthened commitment to the cable market, and continued investment in new capabilities specifically for MSOs.
- The new FX-12 is a 19-inch wide high-capacity shelf that supports 12 line card slots, maximizing port density and space and features embedded support for DPoE.
- The FX-12 is qualified for the ANSI market and hardened to be installed in outdoor cabinets if needed.
- Offers 10G EPON, EPON and P2P from the same platform.
Federico Guillén, president of Alcatel-Lucent’s Fixed Access Business Line said: “Alcatel-Lucent sees a growing opportunity to address the needs of cable MSOs as they move to embrace fiber-based ultra-broadband access, IP and cloud networking technologies. The FX-12 is another great example of how we have committed to serving the cable market and are investing in new capabilities for MSOs.”