A few years later, 5G will begin to be formally commercial. Does it need to use the optical transceiver? How about its conditions of demand compared with 4G? In fact, 4G have uses the countless optical transceiver, 5G will be more. By the current 5G planning point of view, the rate may reach 10-100 times the 4G network. At this rate, the base station must adopt the optical transceiver to achieve the service function, so the demand of the 5G optical transceiver will far exceed that of the 4G optical transceiver.
According to statistics, the core components of 4G base-stations and 4G transmission equipment are 6G and 10G optical transceivers. Once 4G constructions not only led the advance in the wireless field, but also promoted the development of ancillary industries such as antenna, radio frequency and power supply, the industry is also a new growth driver.
In the optical transceiver, 100G optical transceiver is one of the high frequency words. Even in the sub-industry closely related to the 5G theme investment, the 100G optical transceiver has become a new landmark theme market. Therefore, the post will have a deep analysis on what is 100G optical transceiver.
A Brief Introduction on 100G Optical Transceiver
1. Firstly, we need to know that the 100G “G” refers to the optical signal transmission rate of units, rather than the 5G “G” (Generation, 5th generation mobile communications).
2. Optical transceiver: Optical device is to achieve high-speed conversion between optical signals and an optical device, the optical receiver, optical transmitter, laser, detector and other functional modules.
3. According to the encapsulation type (CFP / XFP / SFP / QSFP, etc.), the transmission rate (155Mbps ~ 200Gbps), optical link (CWDM / DWDM / PSM), mode / Hot swap), optical transceiver has a wide range of categories. If considering the operating temperature range, the number of self-diagnostic functions and performance classification elements, optical transceivers has more categories.
4. The basic structure of an optical transceiver includes a laser (TOSA) + driving circuit, a detector (ROSA) + receiving circuit, a multiplexer (MUX), a demultiplexer (DEMUX), an interface, an auxiliary circuit and a housing.
5. Driven by technological upgrading and cost reduction, the optical transceiver continues to be “high-speed, miniaturized and integrated.” 100G optical transceivers using 25G laser chip technology, according to the different form factor methods, 100G optical transceivers have three categories, which are CFP / CFP2 / CFP4, CXP and QSFP28. QSFP28 is a new generation of 100G optical transceiver form factor, and has now become the mainstream optical transceiver form factor in 100G optical transceiver market.
6. 100G optical transceivers have different models and standards. Generally speaking, the transmission rate of optical signals is much higher than that of low-rate 10G and 25G products. Now they have become the star products in large-scale data centers and telecom markets. The following table is the specific circumstances of some common 100G optical transceiver standard:
|Standard||Group||Connector and Fiber||Cabling Reach|
|100GBASE-SR10||IEEE||24f MPO, pinned parallel MMF, 10-fiber Tx, 10-fiber Rx 850 nm||100 meters on OM3150 meters on OM4|
|100GBASE-SR4||IEEE||12f MPO, pinned parallel MMF, 4-fiber Tx, 4-fiber Rx 850 nm||100 meters on OM4|
|100GBASE-LR4||IEEE||LC receptacles duplex (2) SMF, 1310 nm, 4λx25G WDM||10 kilometers on SMF|
|100GBASE-ER4||IEEE||12f MPO, pinned parallel MMF, 4-fiber Tx, 4-fiber Rx 850 nm||40 kilometers on SMF|
|100G PSM4||100G PSM4 MSA||12f MPO, pinned parallel SMF, 4-fiber Tx, 4-fiber Rx 1310 nm||500 meters on SMF|
|100G CWDM4||CWDM4 MSA||LC receptacles duplex (2) SMF, 1271–1331 nm, 4λx25G CWDM||2 kilometers on SMF|
|100G SWDM4||SWDM Alliance(preproduction)||LC, receptacles duplex (2) MMF, 850–950 nm, 4λx25G SWDM||TBD on OM3/4TBD on WBMMF|
|100G CLR4||100G CLR4 Alliance||LC receptacles duplex (2) SMF, 1271–1331 nm, 4λx25G CWDM||2 kilometers on SMF|
The advent of the 5G era will bring new opportunities for the optical communications industry. The entire industry such as optical fiber, optical transceivers and optical access network systems will benefit from the 5G construction. The world’s major optical transceiver manufacturers are now taking this opportunity to launch new 100G optical transceivers to capture the 5G market. Gigalight, as a veteran optical transceiver manufacturer with professional technology, advanced R & D capability and stable manufacturing capability, not only has many popular 100G optical transceiver products, like 100G QSFP28 CWDM4, 100G QSFP28 PSM4, CFP4 100G SR4, and etc. but also will release more new 100G optical transceivers in the first quarter of this year. More information about 100G optical transceivers, please visit the official website.