Sydney Trains is upgrading its network with Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform to improve public services across its transportation system with a faster, low latency and reliable data network. The deployment will support critical passenger safety measures that ensure trains operate at safe distances.
Sydney Trains operates quick, frequent and reliable trains in the greater Sydney suburban area. Sydney Trains also operates and maintains the metropolitan rail network and provide maintenance services to NSW Trains.
By investing in both 100G transport and Optical Transport Network (OTN) switching solutions, Sydney Trains fulfills its focus on building a network that enhances support of customer safety and critical train operations.
Sydney Trains has various sites along its network that have different traffic requirements. The flexibility of Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical Platform supports these end-to-end services and various system configurations, including deployments over long distances and fiber types such as aerial.
This network upgrade aids the transportation provider to transition from a legacy DWDM network, and lays the foundation required to support future high capacity service requirements. The Optical Transport Network (OTN) defined in ITU G.709 allows network operators to converge networks through seamless transport of the numerous types of legacy protocols while providing the flexibility required to support future client protocols. Download this infographic for a deep dive into this crucial technology.
Latest posts by Fiber (see all)
- Acacia Communications Introduces 1.2 Tbps Coherent Module - September 21, 2017
- Sydney Trains Selects Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical Platform - September 11, 2017
- Rollable Ribbons will Change Fiber Optic Cable Design Concepts - September 9, 2017
- Italian Open Fiber Plans investment of 6.5 Billion Euros in FTTH - June 22, 2017
- Newport Telephone Plans Second Phase of Broadband Program in New York - April 3, 2017