An employee of TE Connectivity’s Culpeper manufacturing division suffered burns to his neck and hands in an attempt to extinguish the fire that caught in one of the units in the production campus. The fire accident happened on Friday during a roof remodeling work at the Culpeper manufacturing division in Virginia, the United States. There was some fire damage to the production plant area, but the fire fighters were able to quickly contain it and limit the damage.
It took almost five hours for the fire fighting team to completely put out the fire. All other employees were evacuated and accounted for, according to the company officials. The production plant and the adjoining office area were quickly evacuated as fire units from 10 companies in four counties fought the blaze, which sent black smoke billowing high into the clear midday sky.
Fire Department officials shared the information about the cause of fire with media. The workers remodeling the roof took a lunch break, and when they returned at about 12:30 p.m. they found a stack of roofing repair materials burning. Culpeper County’s professional rescue squad also responded
Headquartered in Switzerland, TE Connectivity Ltd. designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor solutions for a variety of industries including automotive, industrial equipment, data communication systems, aerospace, defense, oil and gas, consumer electronics, energy and subsea communications. The company serves customers in more than 150 countries.
Company official said that there was significant water damage to the production area and smoke damage to an office area in the building. However, they could not offer a monetary damage estimate. Production in the damaged building, one of several on the campus, was halted for the weekend, according to Burke.
TE Connectivity, formerly known as Rochester Wire & Cable, came to Culpeper in 1937 and for decades was the county’s biggest employer. The facility manufactures wire ropes and fiber-optic cables. There was an electrical fire at TE Connectivity nearly three years ago that caused an estimated $750,000 in damage.